7 Clever Home Tips to Save Your Sanity
Protect your home and your sanity with these clever home tricks to solve the most common household problems, from hiding nicks in the floor to resurrecting a sponge.
- Your sponge smells like death. No, it really does. Zap away the stink by placing a damp sponge in the microwave for a minute or two. (More kitchen tips here.)
- Despite your best efforts, someone forgot to use a coaster. To remove water rings from wood furniture cover the mark with a clean, white dishcloth. Heat an iron to medium with no steam. Iron the cloth over the mark.
- When you can’t close the junk drawer, you know it is time for a new solution. Establish a lost and found basket. Miscellaneous items get placed in the basket for their owners to claim and put away. After a few days, toss whatever hasn’t been put away. If it wasn’t valuable enough to be claimed, stuffing it in a drawer won’t change that.
- If the mold on your shower curtain is prolific enough to resemble the face of one of the Beatles, then it is time to clean it up. Toss a plastic shower curtain liner the washing machine with a bunch of towels. The towels will scrub at the liner and get it clean. When done, hang it back up in the shower to dry.
- You are not a witch. Store your brooms with the handles down. This will protect the bristles and make them last longer for sweeping.
- Unless you are purposely trying to annoy your roommates, family members or neighbors, you’ll need to address that squeaky door. For a quick fix, us a little cooking spray onto the hinges and then open and close the door a few times to distribute the oil. Just don’t use the butter flavored version, or you may develop a craving for pop corn every time someone leaves the room.
- If you have kids, then you may also have two other things: chips in the floor and crayons. Combine the two for this quick fix. To hide small nicks in the floor, melt a little bit of crayon that is a close in shade to your floor. Use the melted wax to fill in the chip, then level it off with a plastic knife. This trick won’t last forever, but it may get your by until the kids are off to school.
SEE RELATED PRODUCT AND IDEA IMAGES
cleaning tips, organization, diy ideas