From keeping you warm to putting on a light show, ceiling fans hold some unbelievable tricks.
1. Reverse your ceiling fan blades in the winter to push the warm air away from the ceiling and down to you. Most modern ceiling fans have an automatic reverse switch, although sometimes this switch is hidden behind a screwed in panel. Check your owners manual for more information.
2. To balance a wobbly fan, first mark each blade with a bit of tape. You can then use bright paint or markers of different colors to mark the tape. This will help you easily identify which blades need to be adjusted, while the fan is still in motion. Tighten screws or lightly bend blades back into place, as needed.
3. You can create a display of shapes or messages that is visible while your fan is spinning. A POV LED system can be purchased and adapted to your fan, or you can try your hand at a DIY ceiling fan light display.
Image Source: Instructables
4. To clean the dust and grime off of a ceiling fan without the mess getting everywhere, try the pillowcase trick. Slide each blade, individually, into a pillowcase, using the inside to wipe off the blade. This will contain the dirt. When you are finished cleaning, shake the pillowcase outside and then launder.
5. Ceiling fans don’t actually cool a room. They make a person (or a pet) feel cooler when the air moves around him or her. This means that ceiling fans are useless in empty rooms, so shut yours off when you aren’t in the room.