How to Care for Decorative Hardware
Decorative hardware consists of all the knobs, draw pulls and fixtures that adorn and provide functionality to kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities and more. With the right care, they can provide years of beauty and functionality.
Most homeowners assume that decorative hardware doesn’t require any maintenance at all. While it is forgiving, it is important to understand that modern day finishes and surfaces are usually stain resistant not stain proof. They can also be scratched, dinged and dented from improper use.
Here are several tips you can use to care for your decorative hardware.
- Clean up spills immediately. The longer liquids and grease sit on the surface, the more likely they will absorb past the surface, causing a permanent stain.
- To clean decorative hardware, wipe with warm water and a mild detergent or soap, using a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using sponges or rough dish cloths.
- Avoid draping wet or damp dish towels over the surface of the hardware. Install hooks or rings that are specifically made for that purpose.
- Keep sharp knives and hand tools away from decorative hardware.
- Don’t forget to clean the hinges and small spaces of your decorative hardware. You can use a cotton swab dipped in a mixture of warm water and mild soap.
- Cut down on damaging greasy build up by using a hood fan to remove air born grease and smoke.
- Avoid yanking on your hardware. Most knobs and pulls are designed to allow easy opening using your fingertips.
- Always use clean hands when using your decorative hardware.
- Apply a small amount of vegetable oil to your hardware’s hinges to keep them smooth and squeak free.
Image Source: Dayton Lock Company via HGDesignIdeas.com
SEE RELATED PRODUCT AND IDEA IMAGES
decorative hardware, kitchen, bath, cleaning