Banish Home Allergies: 10 Ways to Breath Easier
Seasonal allergies are nothing to sneeze at. Even worse are allergies that never seem to go away. While medications can help, the best plan of action is one that removes the hidden allergens from your home. Your home should be your sanctuary, not something that makes you miserable.
Close the door on the most likely allergic triggers in your home and breath easier.
- Remove your shoes when entering your home. This reduces the chance that you will track allergens all over your house. During pollen season, you may want to remove any outer clothing before sitting on furniture.
- Avoid irritating smoke particles by banishing cigarette smoke and foregoing an indoor wood fire. Enjoy your campfire outdoors, or opt for a clean burning fireplace or wood stove in your home.
- Say no to Fido in the bedroom. Keeping pets out of your sleeping area can reduce allergens in the room, allowing you to sleep better.
- Speaking of the bedroom, wash your bedding and curtains on a frequent basis. (See When Should I Wash It?)
- Use only natural ingredients, if you choose to scent your home. room sprays, scented candles and scented oils can trigger allergic reactions. (See 19 Brilliant Tricks to Make Your Home Smell Fresh)
- Look for non-porous and easy-clean surfaces when choosing furniture. Cloth material, if not laundered often, can trap allergens.
- Choose solid flooring, such as tile, hardwood and linoleum instead of carpeting. This flooring is easy to clean. (See Modern Flooring Options Can Customize Your Home for more information)
- Use a dehumidifier, as needed. High humidity levels can increase the occurrence of both mold and dust mites, which are both common allergens.
- Exhaust fans in the kitchen can reduce cooking odors and fumes, which may aggravate allergies.
- HEPA filters are a must to remove hidden allergens from the air. The vacuum and the furnace should have HEPA filters that are changed promptly when needed.
SEE RELATED PRODUCT AND IDEA IMAGES
seasonal allergies, air, interior cleaning